A classic preppy mom sharing the innermost secrets of my "picture perfect" life.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Hair, Hair Everywhere

Please help, I need advice. I have an unbelievable amount of thick wavy long hair. Yeah, yeah, people would pay millions for what I have. I hear it all the time. But it is also crazy frizzy and I know it sounds weird but it is HOT as in it's like wearing a winter hat all the time. Since McDada only likes long hair I have grown it out and now only wear it up. It seems ok when I am at the beach, I agree it can almost look sexy. But when I am dressed for an event I can never get it to look polished. I have tried straightening irons and every product imaginable. A friend from NYC who has similar hair had that Japanese Straightening done and she looks incredible. My hair dresser says it will be too flat and my husband says I will still wear it up so what is the point. It is pretty expensive, not to mention the trip into NYC to get it done and the babysitter for the kids. It will turn into a $600 day. What do you all think? Here is another issue I almost forgot about, I have a lot of grey that will just become more prominent. Yeah, I could have it colored after the treatment but that adds another $200 at least!

7 comments:

CBM said...

Do you own a hair straightener? The CHI, or Ceramic Hair Iron, manufactured by Farouk Systems, Inc., was one of the best beauty tools I've ever purchased for my curly hair.
For around $150 (maybe even less now), it works wonders. It's ceramic, so it's less damaging, and it's not permanent, so you still can go curly when you want.
Good luck!

jillskict said...

You have to be comfortable, so do what you think is best. I will tell you this though, that is one of the most gorgeous heads of hair and I love the kids hair too! You are right, the grass is always greener, but having stick straight flat hair, I do everything imaginable to get mine to have some body!

CelinaJ said...

Do you let your hair air dry? I would suggest using a hair dryer on a low heat setting. This actually helps the hair cuticle smooth down. This steps has helped both my hair and my daughter's. I use a brush when blow drying. I also do a quick run through with a ceramic flat iron.

I then use 'Dirt'. It is a texturing paste (kind of like a pomade, but not greasy). It smooths the hair down even more and allows you to give it some style.

I too would not have a $600 straightening treatment high on my priority list. Good luck!

Julia said...

CBM- I just heard about a cream called CHI, and I have two irons but i don't think that together they even cost $150, maybe that's why they don't work so well???
Celina- what kind of brush do you recomend? Texturing paste scares me.
Jilly- wanna trade?
Thanks for the tips everyone!

dmmlandcruiser said...

Your hair is very similar to mine. You need to start with the right hair cut and I think you would benefit by having a few inches taken off. I have a call in to my guy to ask how he cuts mine. I'll get right back to you when I hear back!

CBM said...

J., I too have owned less expensive hair irons in the past that haven't worked well. The CHI is totally different--I don't use it everyday, but I've been very pleased. Also, I'm a big fan of Lush and their all-natural products (particularly hair and soap). I feel like their shampoo really calms and smooths my hair.

Suburban prep said...

From your pictures and what you state about your hair, it seems that I have the same texture. When I go to get a trim and have the stylist dry it is about the only time I really like the end effect. I can never get it "perfect". I have three flat irons and enough styling products to fill my own salon. I hate drying it in the summer because I end up needing another shower from the heat of the dryer. I usually end up putting it in a pony tail during the summer. I try to keep it down in the winter (because actually it keeps me warm to a degree--here in Chicago). I have been told not to cut it too short because otherwise the hair would just be one big kink. I am not complaining--but I guess I am. My sister had cancer and well she lost her hair for a year or two but now it is back with the thickness it was before and she is grateful. I can not complain as a result.
I hope that you find a happy medium.