A classic preppy mom sharing the innermost secrets of my "picture perfect" life.

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Picture Perfect Life - Secret #1

I've been doing this blog for a while now and I am ready to reveal the first secret of my "picture perfect life". McDada and I are in couples counseling. Things were pretty bad for a while and of course I suggested or should I say softly demanded that we do this. We've gone twice already, last night being the second meeting, and it went VERY well. I achieved my goal for last week, which was to not blow up at McDada. I have been blowing up on a regular basis, I'm afraid to say. If McDada happened to point out something that I had forgotten to do or done the wrong way, I took it as personal criticism and as McDada says would go from "0 to Bitch in 6 seconds". So, it was my goal not to react that way, I suceeded for the week and must keep it up, but it took a lot of effort! We have more goals for this week. One is to compliment each other and make sure the person "hears" it, and the second thing is to do something that I view as romantic. Now let me assure you this is not hard to achieve. This does not require a lot of time or effort, or even money, just thoughtfulness. A simple stroll on the beach. Dinner with candlelight and music, even if the dinner is a TV dinner as long as it's not eaten in front of the TV. Even a family, as in us and the kiddos, dancing together in the livingroom.

Easy, right?

You know, I have heard that if you can make it through the first three years of having kids, then you know you will make it. I don't know about that, maybe that applies if your kids are difficult, luckily my kids are not so difficult. And McDada, to his credit is very good at giving me my time out with the girls. I have bookclub once a month, and occasional movie nights, and various events, baby showers, bridal showers, ect where children aren't included and McDada will often change his work schedule to let me go, sometimes even for the weekend. And in the past he would take over when I had to work on my business.

So, hopefully the counseling will help us.
Now you know that even though things look perfect they are often...NOT.

6 comments:

Kimba said...

Thanks for sharing, coming from a "broken home" it's reasurring to reassuring to see the upside of things when the might not be so "up"!

jillskict said...

That was a tough share, thanks. No one said that relationships were easy, and they are work. But if they are worth it they will work and you guys are obviously trying so that is good!

CBM said...

Appearance versus reality is always an interesting topic (in any context).
It's indeed brave to admit certain difficult things and to take steps to improve them, J. Good luck to you in doing what is best for your relationship!

workinthatpreppy said...

thanks for sharing. i wish my husband would be a little more romantic. we are too caught up in the busyness of life...children, work and activities. marriage is hard work.

Delaney Gates said...

You know, it's funny... Just today, my husband made a comment to me that my blog makes it look like I have this picture perfect life... We don't either. Kudos to you for putting it out there! Big hugs for you. :)

Julia said...

Thanks for the supportive words, it makes sharing less scary. I have hope for us. It is work and no one tells you that. Thanks everyone!!!!!